Indigenous Erotica: An Anthology of Art, Wit, and Cultural Truth
While it is a timeless literary form, erotica is rarely considered a legitimate expression of the literary canon, especially within Western representations of Indigenous literature. Too often, what has passed for Indigenous erotica has been aberrant and racist in its depiction, has reinforced cultural stereotypes, and has kept readers ignorant of the realities of Indigenous intimacy. It’s time to change all that.
It’s time for a culturally honest representation of prose and poetry that celebrates the art, wit, and cultural truth of Indigenous sensuality, passion, and true seduction – not the sentimental Hallmark verse, not the purely pornographic, and not the exploitative.
To that end, Wild Blackhorse Press is seeking fresh, original fiction (short stories as well as sudden, flash, or micro fiction) and poetry by Indigenous writers for an anthology that revels in the intimate and/or erotic relationships between lovers. Representations of all pairings and relationship dynamics are encouraged. Explicit depictions of sex are not required; but also don’t just tell us ABOUT the act of love – be a lover!
Here’s how to contribute:
- Send 1-5 poems and/or 1-3 short stories/sudden, flash, or micro fiction.
- Send work as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf document.
- Proof all work PRIOR to submission (Spell check, punctuate properly, and thoroughly scan for homophonic errors).
- Provide 1″ margins, no headers.
- Use 12pt Times New Roman font, double-spaced.
- Number the pages.
- Indent paragraphs (No extra line between paragraphs).
- Format your document with a 10pt footer that includes your pen name, your legal name, mailing address, and email address.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but let us know if you are submitting elsewhere.
- Previously published works are acceptable, but include where and when they were published. By submitting, you are acknowledging that you retain rights for republication.
- Include a brief (150-word) bio.
- Submission deadline: Extended to October 31, 2013.
- Send submissions to: email@example.com.